Return of Interest
The Return of Interest tool shows the possible dollar return (on a $10,000 account) for a security on any given period. This is calculated by dividing a $10,000 account by the closing price. This number is then multiplied by the average range of the security for the last 200 periods. The theory behind the indicator is the higher the value, the higher the potential profit.
The account value ($10,000 by default) and the Average Range Period (200 Days by default) can both be set to different amounts. This tool is also known as the Bang for Buck indicator.
To add the tool to your chart, select the tool from the Price tool group, and left-click on the chart to add the tool. Optuma will then draw the tool in a window below the chart using the default settings.
Scripting Function: RI()
Actions & Properties
Copy Data to Clipboard: Will copy the tool’s values to the clipboard which can then be inserted into a spreadsheet, for example, allowing for further analysis.
Add to Toolbar: Adds the selected tool to your custom toolbar.
Apply Settings to All: When multiple Return of Interest tools have been applied to a chart, page or workbook, this action can be used to apply the settings of the one selected to other instances of the tool. This is a great time saver if an adjustment is made to the tool - such as line colour - as this allows all the other Return of Interest tools in the chart, page or entire workbook to be updated instantly.
Copy Tool: Allows you to copy the selected tool, which can then be pasted onto a different chart window.
Move to Back: If the tool is displaying in front of other tools or indicators clicking this action will move the tool view to the background.
Move to Front: If the tool is displaying behind other tools or indicators on the chart, clicking this action will bring the tool to the forefront.
Restore Default Settings: Click this action if you have adjusted the default settings of the tool, and wish to return to the standard properties originally installed with Optuma.
Save Settings as Default: If you have adjusted any of the tool’s properties (colour, for example) you can save the adjustments as your new default setting. Each time you apply a new Return of Interest to a chart, the tool will display using the new settings.
Delete: Deletes the tool from the chart.
Tool Name: Allows you to adjust the name of the tool, as it’s displayed in the Structure Panel.
Account: Set to $10,000.00 by default. you can adjust this value to increase/decrease the theoretical initial investment used to calculate the possible dollar return.
Bars: Allows you to increase or decrease the number of bars that are used in the calculation.
Show Base Line: Adds a horizontal line to the tool window along the account value ($10,000.00 by default).
Plot Style: This option expands to display the following:
- Plot Style - Allows you to change how the tool is displayed on your chart. There are 6 options available: Line, Dot, Histogram, Step, Shaded, Shaded Step.
- Line Style - The Line Style property allows you to adjust the type of the line displayed. There are 8 options available: Solid, Dots, Dash, Dash Dots, Long Dash, Long Dash Dot, Long Dash Dot Dot, Stippled.
- Line Width - Allows you to adjust the width of the line. Moving the slider bar to the right increases the thickness of the line.
- Line Colour - Allows you to select the colour of the line. Clicking on the drop down arrow will display a colour swatch. Locate the desired colour and left-click it once to select it.
- Fill Up / Down Barrier - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are able to adjust the barrier value. The default value is 0.00.
- Fill Up Colour - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to alter the Fill Colour for the tool.
- Fill Down Colour - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to alter the Fill Colour for the tool.
- Transparency - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to adjust the shading transparency. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency of the tool.
Tool Transparency: Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the tool. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency of the tool.
Visible: Un-tick this checkbox to hide the tool from the chart.
Show In Price Scale: When selected the current Return of Interest value will be displayed in the Price Scale.