The Choppiness index was created by Bill Dreiss and is used as a measure of the current state of a stock’s trend. There are lines placed on the Fibonacci levels of 31.8 and 61.8. Choppiness index values below the 31.8 level generally indicate a trending market, whereas, those above 61.8 indicate a choppy market.
To add the tool to your chart, select the tool from the Price tool group, and left-click on the chart to add the tool. Optuma will then draw the tool in a window below the chart using the default settings.
Scripting Function: CHOPPINESSINDEX()
Actions & Properties
Add to Toolbar: Adds the selected tool to your custom toolbar.
Apply Settings to All: When multiple Choppiness Index tools have been applied to a chart, page or workbook, this action can be used to apply the settings of the one selected to other instances of the tool. This is a great time saver if an adjustment is made to the tool - such as line colour - as this allows all the other Choppiness Index tools in the chart, page or entire workbook to be updated instantly.
Copy Tool: Allows you to copy the selected tool, which can then be pasted onto a different chart window.
Move to Back: If the tool is displaying in front of other tools or indicators clicking this action will move the tool view to the background.
Move to Front: If the tool is displaying behind other tools or indicators on the chart, clicking this action will bring the tool to the forefront.
Restore Default Settings: Click this action if you have adjusted the default settings of the tool, and wish to return to the standard properties originally installed with Optuma.
Save Settings as Default: If you have adjusted any of the tool’s properties (colour, for example) you can save the adjustments as your new default setting. Each time you apply a new Choppiness Index to a chart, the tool will display using the new settings.
Delete: Deletes the tool from the chart.
Tool Name: Allows you to adjust the name of the tool, as it’s displayed in the Structure Panel.
Choppiness Period: Allows you to increase or decrease the number of bars that are used in the calculation.
Choppiness Plot: Expands to display the following properties:
- Plot Style - Allows you to change how the tool is displayed on your chart. There are 6 options available: Line, Dot, Histogram, Step, Shaded, Shaded Step.
- Line Style - The Line Style property allows you to adjust the type of the line displayed. There are 8 options available: Solid, Dots, Dash, Dash Dots, Long Dash, Long Dash Dot, Long Dash Dot Dot, Stippled.
- Line Width - Allows you to adjust the width of the line. Moving the slider bar to the right increases the thickness of the line.
- Line Colour - Allows you to select the colour of the line. Clicking on the drop down arrow will display a colour swatch. Locate the desired colour and left-click it once to select it.
- Fill Up / Down Barrier - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are able to adjust the barrier value, the default value is 0.00.
- Fill Up Colour - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to alter the Fill Colour for the tool.
- Fill Down Colour - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to alter the Fill Colour for the tool.
- Fill Transparency - Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the shading. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency.
- Visible - When deselected the Choppiness plot will not be displayed.
Tool Transparency: Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the tool. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency of the tool.
Visible: Un-tick this checkbox to hide the tool from the chart.
Show In Price Scale: When selected the current Choppiness Index value will be displayed in the Price Scale.