Time By Solar Degrees
Time by Solar Degrees (also known as Solar Degree Intervals) is a unique way of looking at the market. Initially developed by W.D. Gann in the 1920’s, Time by Solar Degrees in Optuma has evolved to provide you with a mechanism to use solar information to help you trade.
The Time by Solar Degrees tool in Optuma will display a number of vertical lines on your charts based on degree separations. Each of these lines can represent a likely place where the market will turn. The degree separations are user defined, so it is up to you to work out which degree separations work best. Gann always preferred numbers such as 49 and 144.
To add the tool to your chart, select the tool from the Cycles tool group, and left-click on the bar on the chart you wish to calculate the tool from. Optuma will then draw the tool using the default settings.
Scripting Function: TBD()
Actions & Properties
Copy Data to Clipboard: Will copy the tool’s values to the clipboard which can then be inserted into a spreadsheet, for example, allowing for further analysis.
Add to Toolbar: Adds the selected tool to your custom toolbar.
Apply Settings to All: When multiple Time By Solar Degrees tools have been applied to a chart, page or workbook, this action can be used to apply the settings of the one selected to other instances of the tool. This is a great time saver if an adjustment is made to the tool - such as line colour - as this allows all the other Time By Solar Degrees tools in the chart, page or entire workbook to be updated instantly.
Copy Tool: Allows you to copy the selected tool, which can then be pasted onto a different chart window.
Move to Back: If the tool is displaying in front of other tools or indicators clicking this action will move the tool view to the background.
Move to Front: If the tool is displaying behind other tools or indicators on the chart, clicking this action will bring the tool to the forefront.
Set Time Alert: Selecting this action will set a Time Alert at the value the Vertical Line is positioned.
Restore Default Settings: Click this action if you have adjusted the default settings of the tool, and wish to return to the standard properties originally installed with Optuma.
Save Settings as Default: If you have adjusted any of the tool’s properties (colour, for example) you can save the adjustments as your new default setting. Each time you apply a new Time By Solar Degrees to a chart, the tool will display using the new settings.
Delete: Deletes the tool from the chart.
Tool Name: Allows you to adjust the name of the tool, as it’s displayed in the Structure Panel.
Degree Steps: Opens the levels window which can be used to add / remove additional degree lines to this tool. To add a new level to the chart, left-click on the blue (+) button and enter the values as needed.
- Value - Sets the degree value for Time by Solar Degrees. To change the value amount, click in the field and enter the new value.
- Line Style - Sets the line type, thickness, colour and transparency of the Solar Degree lines.
- Visible - To hide a level, deselect the check box with the green tick.
Coordinate Type: Changes the Solar Degrees based on equatorial or ecliptic coordinates.
Repeat Style: Alters how the intervals are repeated, can be set to Every Step, First Step or All Exact Steps.
Direction: Adjust the levels between going forward in time (from the anchor point) or backwards in time.
Base Line Style: This option expands to show the following:
- Line Style - The Line Style property allows you to adjust the type of the start/anchor line displayed. There are 8 options available: Solid, Dots, Dash, Dash Dots, Long Dash, Long Dash Dot, Long Dash Dot Dot, Stippled.
- Line Width - Allows you to adjust the width of the base line. Moving the slider bar to the right increases the thickness of the line.
- Line Colour - Allows you to select the colour of the base line. Clicking on the drop down arrow will display a colour swatch. Locate the desired colour and left-click it once to select it.
Line Over All Views: Check this box and the Solar Degrees lines will extend to display over the complete chart and any tools that are displayed in a separate indicator window, for example, Volume.
Show Labels: This option expands to display the following:
Show Date: When selected the date for each interval line will be displayed
- Show Symbol - When selected the solar degree icon will be displayed for each interval for easy identification, this becomes useful when different interval indicators are also present on the chart.
- Show Values - When selected the solar degree value for each interval line will be displayed
- Label Size - Allows you to adjust the size of the text displayed for each solar degree line. Moving the slider bar to the right increases the font size.
- Label Colour - Allows you to adjust the colour of the displayed labels.
Start Date: Allows you to modify the starting date from which the tool is applied.
Tool Transparency: Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the tool. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency of the tool.
Visible: Un-tick this checkbox to hide the tool from the chart.
For additional information on editing the Degree Lines of this tool, click here.