The Forecast Oscillator was developed by Tushar Chande, and calculates the percentage difference from a regression line (5 days by default). The oscillator crossing above the moving average is considered a bullish signal, and crossing below is bearish.
To add the tool to your chart, select the tool from the Averages tool group, and left-click on the chart to add the tool. Optuma will then draw the tool in a window below the chart using the default settings.
Scripting Function: FO()
This example in a scan or Show Bar will show where the regression line oscillator crosses above the average line, using the default 5/3 settings:
FO().Regression CrossesAbove FO().Average
Actions & Properties
Copy Data to Clipboard: Will copy the tool’s values to the clipboard which can then be inserted into a spreadsheet, for example, allowing for further analysis.
Add to Toolbar: Adds the selected tool to your custom toolbar.
Apply Settings to All: When multiple Forecast Oscillator tools have been applied to a chart, page or workbook, this action can be used to apply the settings of the one selected to other instances of the tool. This is a great time saver if an adjustment is made to the tool - such as line colour - as this allows all the other Forecast Oscillator tools in the chart, page or entire workbook to be updated instantly.
Copy Tool: Allows you to copy the selected tool, which can then be pasted onto a different chart window.
Move to Back: If the tool is displaying in front of other tools or indicators clicking this action will move the tool view to the background.
Move to Front: If the tool is displaying behind other tools or indicators on the chart, clicking this action will bring the tool to the forefront.
Restore Default Settings: Click this action if you have adjusted the default settings of the tool, and wish to return to the standard properties originally installed with Optuma.
Save Settings as Default: If you have adjusted any of the tool’s properties (colour, for example) you can save the adjustments as your new default setting. Each time you apply a new Forecast Oscillator to a chart, the tool will display using the new settings.
Delete: Deletes the tool from the chart.
Tool Name: Allows you to adjust the name of the tool, as it’s displayed in the Structures Panel.
Regression Period: The length of the linear regression used in the calculation.
Average Period: The length of the average regression line plot.
Calc Using: The Forecast Oscillator uses closing prices by default. You can choose from Open Price, High Price, Low Price, HL (High + Low / 2), HLC (High + Low + Close / 3), OHLC (Open + High + Low + Close / 4), OC (Open + Close / 2) and Median.
Regression Style: Contains the display properties for the oscillator line displayed on the Forecast Oscillator:
- Plot Style - Adjusts the display style of the Forecast Oscillator tool. There are 6 options available: Line, Dot, Histogram, Step, Shaded, Shaded Step.
- Line Style - When Line is selected as the Plot Style, the Line Style property allows you to adjust the type of line displayed. There are 8 options available: Solid, Dots, Dash, Dash Dots, Long Dash, Long Dash Dot, Long Dash Dot Dot, and Stippled.
- Line Width - Allows you to adjust the width of the Forecast Oscillator tool. Moving the slider bar to the right increases the thickness of the line.
- Line Colour - Allows you to adjust the colour of the Forecast Oscillator tool.
- Fill Up / Down Barrier - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are able to adjust the barrier value. The default value is 0.00.
- Fill Up Colour - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to alter the Fill Colour for the tool.
- Fill Down Colour - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to alter the Fill Colour for the tool.
- Fill Transparency - When the Plot Style is set to Shaded you are then able to adjust the shading transparency. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency of the shading.
Average Style: Contains the display properties for the Moving Average displayed on the Forecast Oscillator which are identical to those listed in Regression Style above.
Offset: Moves the tool forward or backwards in time. The offset is measured in bars, so a value of 2 will push the tool forward 2 bars and -2 will move the tool back 2 bars.
Tool Transparency: Use this slider bar to adjust the transparency of the tool. Moving the slider to the left will increase the transparency of the tool.
Visible: Un-tick this checkbox to hide the tool from the chart.
Show In Price Scale: When selected the current upper and lower band values will be displayed in the Price Scale.