An alert can be created from technical indicators using formulas. The alert will be triggered when the formula criteria has been met.
This video is pulled from the Optuma 101 course that you can access here. This course takes you through the basics of Optuma and helps you get up and running and using Optuma to its full potential. In this video, Darren Hawkins, MSTA, takes you through how to create, edit and delete Alerts.
Setting a Technical Alert
- Click on the Alerts menu icon at the top of the screen to open the Alerts window.
- Click Add Alert button in the Actions menu and select Technical Alert.
- Locate the required code or name.
- Click on the word Script under the Rules column.
- In the box that opens up, click the + where it says “Click to add an alert criteria”.
- The list of criteria will open, including any custom criteria previously created in other modules, such as the Scanning Manager or Back Test. You can also click the New button to open the Script Editor to write a new custom script. To learn more about formulas and functions, please click here.
- Note that as many criteria as required can be added, with an And/Or operator (click to select).
- Adjust the formulas, timeframe, expiry date and notification sounds as required before saving
Another way to set a Technical Alert instead of having to add it via the Alerts manager is to add them directly from the Actions menu of many of the tool through right-clicking on the tool.
The example above will create an alert based on the current price and the Higher Time Moving Average tool: you will be alerted when the daily price moves below the 5-period monthly moving average (as the last closing price was above the HTMA the program automatically knows the alert is to be triggered when the price crosses below).
To manage and/or edit the alert open the Alerts Manager under the Settings menu and click on the word Script under the Rules column:
Managing the Alert
Once the Technical Alert has been created it can be managed via the Alerts menu. When clicked, the Alerts window will open showing existing alerts:
To edit the Technical Alert and change the settings, click on the word Script under the Rules or click the ‘gear’ icon under the Actions column. This will expand the box and allow the alert to be named if required. Also, an expiration time and date can be set, along with the sound to be generated when the alert is triggered.
Once saved, left-click on the arrows icon under the Actions column to see the alert criteria displayed on the chart.
Acknowledging a Triggered Alert
Once the criteria have been met, a notice will appear on the screen along with a sound (if selected). Additionally, the Alerts icon will display a notification which you will be asked to acknowledge.
You can then acknowledge the triggered alert either by clicking on the checkbox under the Triggered column, or you can click on the Acknowledge Triggered Alerts Action in the Actions and Properties menu.
Deleting a Price Alert
You can delete a single alert from the Alerts window by going to the code and left-clicking the small red x on the top right corner of the Code column.
A Delete icon will display, left-click it to confirm the deletion.
To delete multiple alerts at once, hold down the Control key on your keyboard and left-click each code to select it. Once all the alerts you want to remove are selected, press the Delete key on your keyboard and select Yes at the confirmation prompt.